Friday, February 1, 2008

Wednesday Syndrome


In studying behavioral therapy, I have learned that when something occurs over and over again the same way, you should come to expect it and adapt to it....well I guess I haven't learned a thing this past year. We have a syndrome in our house called "Wednesday". This is a typical picture of Brady on a Wednesday between 5:00 and 6:00pm - yes he is fast asleep! Wednesday is Brady's longest day of therapy. We have two hours in early AM, School from 11:30 to 2:00, Therapy from 3:00-5:00 ( usually a playdate that we look very forward too), and then Therapy from 5:00 to 6:00. It is a marathon. Sometimes he falls asleep writing or working during that last hour, but most of the time he makes it. As a result he ususally falls as early as 7:00pm. Every time, I think "wow a few hours to myself". The looming consequences seem to vanish from my memory. I watch taped shows that I have been saving since Brady's diagnosis in May 2005. I get very excited...eat a whole meal...oh how the immediate gratification is endless....

Then I snuggle up to him about 9:00, watch tv bed (not cartoons) until 10:00 and go to sleep.

THEN at approximately 2:30 or 3:00am I hear this,,,,"Mom, I'm hungry, lets do a puzzle, Can I have some juice, Is Spongebob on yet?" Then the triggered response to "Wednesday" tells me...Why didn't you keep him up or why didn't go to bed at 8:00? I absolutely Never get it right. So I have been up since 3:00. I just made Brady his lunch (it is 7:00am). The good news is I just went to check on him in the dining room and he said, "Mom, I just love you". :o) ahhhh

Now what was I saying?????

3 comments:

Marianna Jane said...

This is when you go to my parents house, say "Here you go," (hand Brady off) and take a nap. That's what I did when you guys were in D.C.! :) WOW, Wednesday is a long day for Brady. But, it sounds like Wednesday makes for a long day on Thursday for you!

Montie said...

They actually did take him tonight. I am sleeping!!!! Love you and Miss you. How is the new roommate working out?

Audrey said...

That picture is precious! He looks totally worn out. Take Care!